Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Transmission Fluid...

They are adding a couple of pints to Donovan, as he measured "low" this evening.... I'm talking about blood of course, but isn't it really just transmission fluid? That should pink up his cheeks a little, (the ones on his face, people!) I wonder how many units he's received already? There were four that I knew of in ICU, and probably a few during surgery. So to my sister Jewel and all you other regular blood donors, a big round of applause and thanks! Make that a standing ovation!!!

We had a good day with Donovan. He was up and at 'em, giving himself a wash up on the side of the bed when we got there....did I mention he says sponge baths by young nurses are "over-rated!" He doesn't think all the personal attention is worth the trouble of getting "new breathers".

Found out he did have a pneumothorax, or partial collapse of one of the new lungs. It's better already, so I couldn't even spend time worrying about it! Darn!!! So the 15 litres of oxygen I spoke of yesterday worked their magic, I guess. There's talk of the last chest tube coming out tomorrow, and we will personally supervise the tight stitches, so no more leaks in his chest!

On the "praise" side of things for today, thanks for that dice game, Joan & Roger & Julie...we played it with Donovan & Katie today. Lots of fun! And what a joy to do something all together, something so normal...having a few laughs is as good a therapy as the stuff they run into Donovan's veins, (in my non-medical opinion).

Hey, more good news, his white count is down a little. Let's keep praying all the way to normal. I'll give you till the weekend, so get on it!!!

And how do y'all like the new looks of this blogsite. That would be the handiwork of my darling husband, who just couldn't stand not renovating something! He was appalled at the feminine template I had originally chosen, and didn't want Donovan offended when he eventually looks at this....and hopefully adds his own opinion. Is this more gender neutral? Or even a little masculine? I'm not sure.

We're still considering our options for long-term here in Edmonton. No decisions yet, but I'm thinking we may stay here at my friend Verla's house. It really is getting to be home, and I think I'd be too lonely in a new space. I'll just have to suck up my fears of Edmonton traffic! But there's time for all those decisions. Have I mentioned we may be here till Christmas or beyond? So far, we're on a pretty great curve, healing-wise, but we're told to be prepared for anything. There are always hurdles, but we'll let God deal with that....and He's doing a great job of getting us through thus far!

For those of you who have visited and seen all the post-surgical patients walking around hugging those red plush heart pillows on Donovan's ward, he now owns two of them! (One for each lung?). I was getting a kick out of watching these bent-over people pushing IV poles, walking gingerly up and down the halls, holding these heart pillows. They looked like victims of broken romances (hearts?) Apparently Telus supplies these pillows to the heart surgery ward, because it helps to hold a pillow to the surgical site for support. Donovan call them his "coughing pillows". He's doing well, but it does hurt to cough.

Please do remember to pray for "K" and "L" two fabulous young women, each waiting here for a set of lungs! They so deserve them! Each has been through a lot. It's hard for me not to feel guilty that we jumped through the hoops so fast, although we didn't have any wait time left to speak of. Each of these gals has been on 'the list' for months. Waiting in hospital seems endless.

Indeed, we are blessed and highly favored. Each time I tell our story both to medical people and friends, I come to realize it more and more. Just as it is going to take time for Donovan's healing to be complete, the realization of our miracle will take time to fully hit home.

Well, off to bed with me. Thanks for listening everyone!

love, Beth

6 comments:

Spin Original said...

Thinking of you and praying for you all!!

Miss you, Beth!!

A. M. A. G. said...

Julien will be glad to see the blog format change. He was a little worried about the "pink" look. Hi to Donovan from our gang.
Alice

Carolyn said...

Beth, your blog makes me laugh and then cry. It is awesome to continue to hear the updates. Through the blog I read the updates each day and know about the journey you are on and then Pastor Ron reads your notes in church and I am just overwhelmed with all that God has done here and how prayers are being heard and answered in such a dramatic way. Just awesome! You can hear sniffles all through the congregation as others rejoice in the works of Gods hands. I now make sure I have tissues in my purse. Keep blogging - I can't wait to read each day!

JoanG said...

I'm glad that you're enjoying the dice game - it is from my aunt, Marie Campbell, who we stayed with when we were in Edmonton (thanks again, Marie!) for the transplant weekend.
Roger & I have been following the daily updates and we're so happy about the good news-may it continue. Although this is my first post to the blog, we've been in touch with Beth & Laurier about our profound experience that weekend. Their strength and love is inspiring, and we're grateful to be a part of their family.
Joan & Roger

Sharon Ardell said...

Hi Beth,
I feel like I am peeking in your window when I read your blog -- thanks for sharing your journey with us. You write so vividly, Beth, about the emotions you continually go through that I find myself responding through my own tears. Know that we are praying along with you for Donovan's full recovery and transition back into life and for you and your family as you walk beside him through this ordeal.
Sharon Ardell

ruby said...

We are thinking about all of you in Edmonton and are praying for you every day. It sounds like your days go by quickly. From this end it seems like his progress is just zipping along, I hope it does from your end too.
I miss you all.