Sunday, September 14, 2008

Day One....this is as good as it gets! "Dr. Weikauf"

Ok, first off, everyone gets a hug! Everyone!!! Not wimpy noodle arms or a 3-back-pat man hug, but a big tight bear hug, with little animated red cartoon hearts floating all around as I'm hugging you.....That's the kind of day it's been (as Lloyd Robertson would say....)

I just found out you could comment on my blog, so I read your comments, aw shucks, are you ever niiiiiice.....thanks, people....

I bet you want some good news, don'tcha? Well, I won't keep you waiting. How about this for starters...Dr. Weikauf (post transplant care doc) said of Donovan's "Rockstar" nite (that's how a nurse described Donovan when I impatiently phoned the ICU for an update in the wee morning hours, she said, Donovan, he's a rockstar!!!) anyway, where was I? oh yes, Dr. W. said, "Day 1, this is a good as it gets!" Then he went on to describe several other less terrific scenarios that could have played out because of the very serious condition (and that's putting it in PG language) that Donny was in when he went into the OR.

  • So, today, it was wake-up time for Donovan. But it wasn't anything like, snap, ok, where am I? It was more one eyelid lifted a quarter of a mm., another eye, a 20 minute doze, repeat process while ecstatic parents repeated appeal to sleepy son to please, please, open your eyes, squeeze my fingers....wiggle your toes, earth to Donovan.....after several hours we did get both eyes simultaneously open, but only for a few seconds. The porch light was on, occupants were questionable, if you get my drift. We gently announced he was breathing with new lungs, and assured him repeatedly that he was in the best care possible and doing wonderfully. I recall the word "miracle" being tossed around like a baseball!!!

The main thing today was to make sure he was comfy, I think he was mostly, and to get him off the sedation. We accomplished that! That lots for day one!!! He has many painkilling drugs on board and tomorrow will get an epidural for pain control. Amazingly, this type of pain med that is used a lot for childbirth can in this case be isolated to a few inches on either side of his clam-shell incision, which goes horizontally across his chest from armpit to armpit.

As far as getting that breathing tube out...well, we are going to go at Donovan speed for that. His comfort level and "numbers" will let us know when he is ready to be extubated. The respirator today was on the lowest possible setting, but it was controlling Donovan, whereas tomorrow we want it to be only assisting, and then we hope to fire the thing shortly after and have Donny do the whole breathing thing on his own! Sound like a plan? We hope so....

Yes, I do get my hyper-ness out on this blog. But seriously, I spent a lot of time today trying to wrap my head around our situation...a lot of time I'm sure looking like I was the one on drugs....and I think I may feel like this for some time. So if any of you see me with a glazed-over post-traumatic stress disorder look on my face, aimlessly wandering the halls of U of A...well, that's just me....for a while anyway.....

On a side note...I have the world's most amazing husband, and yes, I now know for sure (I've always suspected) I'm darn lucky to be his wife. He has held up and held me up unbelievably through our roller-coaster....Of course he's also cased the whole hospital and made mental notes and verbal ones on how the whole joint could be better run, including improvements to personnel, machinery, useage of available space ...you have to truly know Laurier to appreciate this. What a guy!!!

Ok, now I'm just rambling. But I'd like to leave you with this ( a fave of my family, that's been in my head all day)... Psalm 103: 2-5 "Bless the Lord, O my soul and forget none of His benefits, who pardons all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion, who satisfies your life with good things, so your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

Soaring with Eagles.....Beth, Laurier & Donovan

ps...a few prayers to get off the respirator...can we do it troops? Thanks!

pps. So nice to see Chantal, Kaylee & Shenoa who drove in from S'toon. Thanks guys!!! (and mind that speed, Chantal). You are so loyal. Love ya!

Roger, Joan & Julie, you were the hands and feet of Jesus to us when we needed you most...you were there! We love you and will miss you. It's only 2 hrs away, Julie!!!

And to my sisters, Jewel & Ghislaine...what can I say....thanks to West Jet for getting you here...and to you for feeding me and getting me through. I love you

till tomorrow,
Beth



6 comments:

GloryBeeDeb said...

I have been eagerly checking the blog all day waiting for an update and I am glad I stayed up long enough for it to show up. :) What wonderful news Beth!! I doubt Donovan ever thought he would be called a Rockstar but I love the nickname and am delighted that he is doing so wonderfully. May God's mercies be shown to you each and EVERY day. I am so grateful for all He has done for Donovan and how He has met each and EVERY need. Truly He is faithful and His hope does not disappoint and His compassions do not fail. I trust Him to complete the healing work He has begun in Donovan. I can hardly wait to hear the praise report that Donovan is breathing on his own with his new miracle lungs. PRAISE THE LORD!!

Love and Prayers, DEB

P.S. Glad you found the comment section Beth, I know I have been encouraged by all the comments and been able to agree in prayer or rejoice along with the many people who love your family. :)

ladydragon said...

Wow...what a journey. I'm truly amazed but not surprised that Donovan is getting through this with "rockstar" status, he has a strong soul. Among all the good vibes I've been sending Donovan I've had more than a few special thoughts for you Beth. Being a new mom I've held Mateo extra close these days and I wish I was there to give you a hug and tell you how happy I am for you. You have a beautiful family and you all deserve great things from this life. Love you all. Vanessa

Jan said...

Hi Beth and family:
Thank you for sharing your journey with us all. It is a priviledge. We want Donovan to know that he has made quite a connection with his east coast cousins. We are amazed by his strenght and his family's strength. You are all Rock Stars! As our Lord completes his healing work, many of us celebrate with you over each victory. The more people praying, the more that celebrate the miracle. Thank you for sharing this miracle with us. Although we cannot be there please know that since you went to Edmonton, you have been on our hearts and we pray for you. Many sisters at The Convent of the Sacred Heart in Halifax are praying for Donovan, his family and his medical team. They want you to know that the grace of god is with you and that you are courageous.
Love and Peace
Cousin Jeanette

Connie and Randy said...

Way to go, team! Way to go, God!
You are all with us in our thoughts and prayers, and we intend to settle in for the long haul. Just let us know how we can help, and let us do it.
And to Laurier, we know haven't heard from you, but we have remembered you, for sure.

Laurie said...

hank you for emailing the Miracle Channel Ministry Center. We are trusting everything went well and we are standing in agreement with you for Donovan's complete healing. Jeremiah 30:17 says that the Lord will restore health to him and heal his wounds. Isaiah 58:8 says that his health, restoration and the power of a new life will spring forth speedily with is new lungs! (Amplified) We stand with you on these wonderful promises of God and believe for a mighty miracle!


Each prayer request that we receive here at the Ministry Center is passed on to many powerful intercessors who will keep Donovan and his family saturated in prayer.

Just passing on this encouragement. You are loved so very much! Laurie

itsallofhim said...

Well - it took me forever to figure out how to get on here and post...but that didn't stop me from praying for Donovan all this time. Beth - I feel like he's one of my kids now. MY heart has been 'captivated' by donovan and his story and our Lord Jesus Christ...I can only imagine what YOU his mom Beth are going through too. I know for me - when my children (grown though they are) are hurting or sick - my heart grieves along with Jesus's heart. BUT - I KNOW the WORD of GOD - and I KNOW that OUR GOD - is no liar - HIS WORD is clear and concise...BY HIS STRIPES - we WERE healed. DONOVAN WILL pull through this...Father - in the Name of Jesus I just come to YOU today and lift up Donovan to you…..I don't know what is going on in his body - whether it's something the medical people are claiming will be alright eventually or not - YOU ARE FAITHFUL LORD - YOUR PROMISES ARE TRUE!!! YOU know it all LORD!!! YOU above ALL - KNOW everything - and we are sooo grateful for that. That YOUR HAND is ALWAYS on his life…no matter WHAT it looks like….So we just ask YOU to destroy ANY and ALL words already spoken over him - declared or decreed over him - along with any medical diagnosis - and I ask YOU to give Donovan TOTAL and COMPLETE deliverance - COMPLETE freedom from all demonic activity/spirits according to John 16:23….. We plead the Blood of Jesus over Donovan - from the top of his head to the very soles of his feet and we ask Lord Jesus according to John 14:14, to render powerless and harmless the enemy - that he cannot come back into the presence of Donovan. Father - loose YOUR angels around him today to protect him. I ask YOU LORD JESUS - to destroy any curses and generational curses off of Donovan and keep them from coming back on him. Jesus - destroy any evil effects, side effects, ANY instruments of unrighteousness that have penetrated Donovan- along with their manifestations or influences - any symtoms or memories - any lies of the devil - and impressions from him - or wrong mind sets…REMOVE THEM ALL, in the Name of JESUS and the power of YOUR HOLY SPIRIT!!! Lord Jesus - cleanse Donovan's mind and body - purify him - and heal him mentally and emotionally - physically - totally and completely!!! THANK YOU LORD - that YOU are giving HIM YOUR mind and YOUR healing…the MIND of CHRIST!!! and YOU are teaching him to use his new mind and strengthening his body as I pray….We know we can do NOTHING on our own to make this situation better…but we KNOW with YOU - ALL things are possible…. So I just ask that YOU give Donovan's doctors clarity of vision, clarity of thought - clarity of mind and that they hears YOUR voice - and not that of a stranger, in JESUS name…So Lord - I just ask that YOU bring Donovan the peace he needs now - mentally and physically - from now on to perceive what is right and good - that he UNDERSTANDS all and is assured of YOUR WORD - that he remembers things and he begins displaying and walking in what he has been taught, in JESUS name….
WE LOVE YOU DONOVAN - KEEP the faith - in JESUS NAME