Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 3 "I have used lungs" or Houston, we have attitude!!!

Those precious words were some of the first that Donovan quietly articulated once the tube was out and a whisper of a voice returned to him. Wanting to see "where he was at" mentally, I reminded him he was in the ICU and his double lung transplant had occurred. "Donovan, can you say I have brand new lungs?" "I have used lungs" he informed me!!! What a guy!!!

He is weak, tired, oh, so very tired, but he is breathing on his own, with only a little extra oxygen via nasal cannula (tubing to his nose). We continue to be overjoyed, but not without a few anxieties. He tends to set off alarms when he drifts in and out of sleep, which is about every 10 minutes, and has episodes of apnea, or stopping breathing. Some kind reassurances of the staff helped to allay our fears of re-intubation, but it could happen. We are to expect hurdles and bumps, but let's continue to pray for healing and strength and steps in the right direction. How wonderful to see the respirator tube out, and a male nurse today shaved his facial hair into a nice goatee!!! He looks great!

Do you remember that old TV sitcom "Malcolm in the Middle"? Well, the way Donovan is speaking sound an awful lot like the character Steve, the black kid who was in a wheelchair with some kind of breathing issue that made him speak very, very slowly and breathlessly...that's Donovan today. The back of his throat is very swollen and irritated from 2 weeks of intubation. It will be a few days till he can swallow properly and drink as well. Today was a rinse and spit day...

More from Donovan today: Mom: "There's dad Donovan, say hi to your dad." Donovan: "I can say hello myself!" Also, he has begun to cough, which is very difficult and probably painful, but necessary. He has a suction tube to help with removal of secretions from his mouth. His hand-eye coordination is not there yet, and the tube is hard for him to wield with shaky hands. Laurier noticed him making motions to his mouth with the tube and asked if he needed help. "no, just practicing," says Donny. Also, he told Katie the tube should be marked with as marker as to where he is to pick it up, so as not to put an eye out with it if he picks it up to low on the "hose" part...Katie solved this by wrapping a rubber glove around it...he thanked her and made her cry!!!

Best part of today, saying "I love you, son" and (finally) hearing "I love you too!!!" Need I say more?

Well, just this...."For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Praying for a future that glorifies God...and with continual gratitude for all of you on this journey....

Beth & Laurier

ps...there is a young lady we know of in hospital who also needs a pair of new lungs...please pray for "K." and have everyone you know sign those donor cards!!!

15 comments:

judy/bryan said...

Hi beth
Say hi to Donovan from all the peds staff here in PA. I have been trying to keep the ones working all up to date with the blogspot and some have it now too to access at home. I am so amazed at all that has been able to happen for him. Praying for continued recovery and that all goes well for all of you.
Judy and Bryan moriarty

Jason--/. said...

It's awesome to know that Donovan's improving! I and some friends have been praying for him and all of you over these past couple weeks and it has brought us together and helped me to seek and connect with God more. I thanks God for the opportunity to see Donovan while he was still in Saskatoon and can't wait to see him again soon once he's recovered! I can assure you that you have a great multitude of brothers and sisters lifting Donovan up in prayer, probably more than you or I even realize. And now we unite in praising our amazing God! Rest assured Donovan is in the best hands-the hands of his creator....he knows what he's doing.

With love and prayers, your brother in Christ,
Jason Borrowman --/.

Reina said...

Beth; This news can't be any better. I know he has a ways to go, but I am so confident that he will continue to improve!

So now that you are reading comments, Happy Anniversary. Do you realize we have known each other 30 YEARS!? On Sunday after church, the prayer ministry team was praying with me for Donovan and you all. One of them asked how long I had known you. I thought for a minute and said 30 years this month. We met the first day of college, at U of Regina. Frankly, I don't believe I am old enough to have a 30 year old friendship with anyone! But there you go. Thought that might make you smile.

Have a good night.

Reina

Tony McFadden said...

Hey Beth, Laurier and all, been reading this since Reina sent the link. Fantastic news that Donovan is pulling through, but I has ot doubt -- B & L you two were strong from the day I met you...Donny comes by it honestly.

We're all thinkg of you and hope he's home soon

Tony McFadden and Family

ladydragon said...

It makes me so happy to read how well he's doing... One day you'll all look back on this time with the strength of a million men. Say hi to Donovan for me!!!!! Love you all, Vanessa

Unknown said...

Hey Beth,
Praise God that your son is recovering! I remember what it is like to wait for a single sound from your child. I never thought crying could sound so good, even if he did sound like a duck off the respirator! (By the way, our little miracle is doing just great and keeping his mother on her toes with all his antics.)Our church prayed for you and your family, as well as the donor family.

Love,
Rae, Jonathan and
Zacchaeus Nicoll

Brendan F said...

Hey a there Beth,

this blog is a good idea, this way i don't have to sift through piles of junk, or read my email at all(email is overrated), to find out what's going on. anywho, I started getting together some of Donny's stuff and I was wondering if you wanted it in Edmonton or PA or both or whatever. More good news everyday, just keeps getting better. He's missed here at the broken thumb, and not just because he always remembers to replace the toilet paper. My prayers go out to you.

Brendan

P.S. Tell Donovan that used lungs are better anyhow, new ones would be a bad investment.

Hear me out. said...

Hurrah!! The tube's out!! That's great!! Say hello for me!

-Chantal

P.S. I found shoes.

Unknown said...

Beth!!!
All i can say is praise God! it just seems like its an endless stream of good news. and it is. so amazing! i have been checking my email everyday expecting more from there like an idiot because my dad forwarded the first one so i just caught up on the last three days now.... Your excitement is a real encouragement to everyone. i wish i could talk with you one on one.
i just wanted to let you know that donovan was being prayed for all aroudn the world. i even contacted africa and told them to pray. and believe me, they are those persistent types. they wont let us down.
also, this is the verse that i stumbled upon the day i left on my trip and it really reasured me that like you said "this problem is too big for us but not too big for God

Romans 8:10-11
But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of Sin. Yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the spirit of him who raised Jesus from teh dead is living in you, he who raised Christ form the dead will also give life to your martal bodies thorugh his spirit who lives in you.

I knew then that donovans body didn't matter because his spirit was alive, all because of God's righteousness. If God allowed donovan to be healed it would be for his glory and for the renewing of his spirit, not his mortal body.
anyways, i am going on and on because i havn't talked to you for over a week.
Love you all lots!
can't wait to see you
Logan

Petra said...

Hi Beth and Laurier...
hope i can finally get this to post. It truly is sounding like a made for TV movie...in a very good way! We'll be heading to the Airport soon. did I ever mention how much I luv flying(LOL) I'll phone you from PA. We continue in prayer with you/for you.

love gregor

GloryBeeDeb said...

What wonderful news! Donovan is back and it is great to hear he has not lost his sense of humor. :)

I don't know about a TV movie but I do hope Beth that you will write a book about Donovan's Transplant Journey, I know God gave you a writing gift for something great. A book would touch so many lives and bring inspiration and hope and cause faith to rise in everyone who would read it, as these blog entries are doing. :)

Donovan's situation has prompted Kyle to become an organ donor, he never realized how important it was to do so until someone he knows actually needed a transplant.

I am completely confident that Donovan will continue to improve and his voice and body will get stronger each day. We will all celebrate every step of his recovery, whether they be small steps or big ones. I would imagine he must be hungry after 2 weeks of being intubated. I wonder what he would like to eat, it probably is not on the hospital menu. LOL

With love and prayers, DEB

jon zacharias said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jon zacharias said...

Thanks for all the updates on how Donovan is doing! I'm glad to hear that he is doing better and I hope (and pray) that he continues to get better. I was thinking of visiting him this weekend but today I started to get a sore throat so that may not be a good idea anymore. Tell Donovan that I say hi! He's a great guy and I wish that I got to know him better over the years. I really respect him for having so much strength, energy, and such a happy attitude despite everything that he's been through!

Jon Zacharias

Jan said...

Hi Beth, Laurier, Donovan and family:
How fantastic to hear of Donovan's such amazing, amazing progress every day. Donovan has incredible strength and so have all of you. I know that Donovan's throat will heal soon and after graduating thickened food, Lynne says menu picking smoothies will be a great event. Meanwhile, we wait to hear all the news and are grateful for your sharing. Prayers for you all.
Love and Peace
Cousin Jeanette

Mike CLancy said...

You tell Donovan for me:

"who dat think they gonna beat them Riders? Who Dat? Who Dat?"

Anytime he wants to come watch a Riders game here he's more than welcome - I think he enjoyed the last outing!

Get well soon Donovan, and Go Riders!

Mike & Anna Clancy