Saturday, September 27, 2008

Step by step

With a much less high-tech walker....physio today suggested one lap with the 'zombie walker' then another with a regular four-wheeled type! Now that's progress! And after that, for the first time in over 4 weeks, a shower!!! That must have felt fantastic for Donovan. No more sponge baths, and hair-washing ventures in bed.

There's also all kinds of wonderful rumors abounding here about passes from the hospital, and (get this) discharge in the future weeks. Now, all these different doctors have to get their collective heads together, and actually decide on when these things will happen...and then Laurier & I can actually make some plans about what we will do....but how good to know things are going this well! PTL!

We are going to have a very busy week with so much learning. We know very little about all the testing required for blood sugar & insulin, nothing about the anti-rejection drugs, and we've still not had a pulmonary function test....something we will do daily at home to check on Donovan's lungs each day. These tests will tell us if his body is rejecting the lungs (he's never been rebellious...let's hope it won't start now!). This week he will begin physio at the gym downstairs as well. We'll meet lots of other transplant folks there as well, which will be good for Donovan.

A busy afternoon for Donovan today....one more unit of blood, which means vitals checks very often for the 3 hours the transfusion takes. Let's pray this is the last. Also, one of the docs this a.m. didn't think antibiotics would stop so soon. I hope they make up their minds, because this affects the fluid restriction. This particular doctor really needs to learn to smile & lighten up a little! He scares me!!!

Well, I'm in the family room, and going to dig into my new book while Donovan sleeps. Actually it's your book Logan L.(I'll get it back to you on your next visit) "The Shack" by William Young. Check it out! Very interesting.

Take care everyone, and Happy 2 Week Transplant Anniversay Donovan!

Love,
Beth

3 comments:

Sharon Terrio said...

Hi Beth. Logan and I arrived back in High River about 9pm last night. I was so thankful to be home, and retire to my own comfortable bed, use my own private bathroom in my own home and tuck my kids into their own beds in their own cozy bedrooms.

I'm not bragging I just think your an amazing person and you have an amazing family. I pray you will get home soon with your son and enjoy just that, being at home.

Hugs and Love and Lots of Prayers: Sharon Terrio

spookycat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hear me out. said...

Hey Beth.
I'm thinking of coming out this coming weekend but I'm not sure if I'll have a place to stay. Can yout think of anywhere?

-Chantal