Sunday, September 28, 2008

Greetings from Prince Albert!

It's just Beth here, not the whole family. Well, I do have my youngest Stephen, now within a hug's reach. It was decided quite suddenly this morning that I would come back home to be with our youngest before he leaves for soccer nationals in Charlottetown next week. Then I'll head back to Edmonton while he is gone. After that, I think depending on how Donovan is doing, Laurier & I will take turns staying in Edmonton. Folks, this is a time when clones are needed, quite badly. One of me to be here, with Stephen, and one in Edmonton with Donovan!

While it was difficult for me to leave today, I am encouraged by the way Donovan is getting around on four wheels, taking the long way around the unit with the walker! Logan came to visit his buddy again today...thanks Logan! (And sorry Sharon for the way I slaughtered your name...I was thinking of someone else who spells their name that way, not you! )

So this week is all about teaching, and learning. We have so much to learn about the care of second-hand-lungs! There's the anti-rejection drugs, testing blood sugar and administering insulin shots, and of course, our old favorite from cf days, pulmonary function tests, which we now get to do at home...but we have to buy our own machine for it. I hope Laurier takes a lot of notes.

I'm sure Laurier will get to go to the gym downstairs with Donovan as well this week. He (donny) has a lot of muscle strength to rebuild. Do you know when your body is under extreme stress as Donovan's was pre-transplant, it actually devours muscles. So that explains the trembly legs and arms.

So, sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to Kristen & Connie & Lauren and Shauna....but I hope to see you next week, preferably in the ICU both recovering from transplant surgery!!! I'm praying...you'll let me know, right?

My daughter Amy was kind enough to drive me home today, and turns around tomorrow morning to head back to Battleford for work. Isn't she sweet? I'll probably fly back there next Sunday evening.

Hope you all have a good night. God Bless each of you. I'm going to tuck my 14 yr. old "baby" in now, something I haven't been there to do in a looooong time.

love,
Beth

4 comments:

Connie said...

Hi Beth...glad to hear how well Donovan's doing...will drop by to see him soon. We've been "on the move" a lot, esp. when Kristen's fiance is here...spend as much time as we can at the apartment! Enjoy your time at home. TTYL

Hear me out. said...

Is Stephen just heading out with his team? How will you know who won? How long's he out there?

NEEDLEWORKS FABRICS AND CLASSES said...

Still in my thoughts and prayers. I'm thrilled Donovan is moving and hope the antibiotics can be stopped. See you soon.

Jerry

Jan said...

Hi Beth:
What fantastic progress Donovan is making! The sisters at the Sacred Heart are asking about him and your family, all the time and always grateful for such fantastic healing. Glad to hear you've been able to put your feet on home turf for awhile. Bet that feels good. When is Stephen going to Charlottetown?
Love, Peace and Prayers
Jan