Friday, September 19, 2008

Moving right along....

Out of the ICU we go....on Day 6 post transplant! Let's just put in perspective how remarkable this is, then pass all the glory on to God. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you were "healthy" yet needing new lungs, were in the community waiting for a phonecall that lungs had come in, you could expect to be out of ICU in a week or so. Let us remember Donovan was transplanted from life support....not in any way ideal condition for surgery. But down the hall we went on day 6, first to a double room, then to the much-awaited private room. Hooray! no more "calling in" before we visit, only to be put off multiple times....

Donovan also had the "necklace" or central line in his neck removed, which makes him feel and appear much more normal.

To round out our wonderful day, Amy and Stephen joined us for the weekend! How fabulous to have the whole family living, laughing and loving together. I just want to keep them all in hug's reach forever, but I'll settle for the time we have together now. We had a lovely stroll down Whyte ave. today, in the beautiful autumn weather with golden leaves falling gently and crunching underfoot! One day, in the not too far future we'll have Donovan with us for an outing! Can't wait!

Ok, let's get to our prayer needs...Donovan's number one priority is meticulous care of these brand new "breathers".... he needs to use what we have dubbed his "slurpee machine" on the hour to keep coughing and keep pneumonia away. It one of those breathing aparatuses that makes you cough. It's tiring and painful. Let's pray it gets easier.

I had enough nerve to ask his doc today if it was too much to expect to be out of hospital all together in another couple of weeks. He replied that it would be "pushing it." But hey, we're out of ICU on day 6....so anything's possible! Let's pray it into being! Sleep for Donovan is stil a prayer need. Last nite he was plagued by nightmares, even with a sleeping pill. Let's pray against any bad dreams, and hope as well that being out of the constant stimulation of the ICU will help to this end.

Let's praise God for unimagineable goodness and grace! Donovan is much less anxious and worried today. He's happy and mellow. His siblings are thrilled to have their brother back. We just feel so blessed! No rejection or signs of infection thus far....

Ps. 23 keeps floating through my mind..."The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want....He restores my soul.....surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life...."

Rejoicing to be one of the Flock,

Beth

ps. For any of you that live in Sask, and are poetry fans, I have a suite of poems to be aired on CBC radio tomorrow at 5pm on the show Sound Xchange. The timing of this airing is very ironic indeed, as these poems all relate to Donovan, and come from our experience last fall when we first started talking transplant. If you get the chance, give a listen and let me know what you think. They are to be read by an actress and set to music. I think there are 6 poems in all.

8 comments:

Sharon Terrio said...

Terrific!!

Milly White said...

Yahooo!!! From the night nurses at the Vic hospital Carla Jan and Milly.Thinking about you everyday> Love and Prayers.

Hear me out. said...

I'm so happy he's happy. I'll definitely pray about nightmares(no fun atall) and we'll also pray him right out of that hospital. May I come visit again in the near future?(I was thinking not this weekend, but the one after that. Still to be decided. Let me know)

-Chantal

Reina said...

Thrilled at the news!

And bummed I can't get CBC radio down here. Does anyone know if the podcast? I am a serious fan of Beth's poetry.

BTW, also thrilled that you are going to be a grandma!

Deb said...

Isn't God Awesome!!! I have been following your blog since Donovan's transplant. Not even sure how I ended up on the page. It brings back so many memories as our daughter (sixteen at the time) had a double lung transplant three years ago. Life is amazing. I have been praying for Donovan and your entire family. While there may be some bumps in the road along the way, they are more than worth it. When you can watch you child living life to the fullest after all they suffering, well, it just puts a big smile in your heart.
Believing in HIM,
Debra Gabehart
To see our miracle:
www.geocities.com/debgabehart
(Christena's Transplant Journey)

Annette said...

Hi Beth and Laurier,
I think I've finally figured this blogging out.
Every day I anxiously await your update on Donovan and I am so thrilled at how good things are going. I can't believe that a week ago, when I saw you both, you were filled with much worry and great fear for Donovan, but still had such faith that God would provide. And now look at Donovan, you couldn't ask for a better outcome. I know that there may be some bumps along the way, but he is definately on the right track.
Mom and Dad send their thoughts and prayers. If I haven't called with an update in a couple days, Mom is quick to call me for more news. They are so very happy at Donovan's progress.
If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to call (875-3970).
Love and Prayers
BFF Annette

NEEDLEWORKS FABRICS AND CLASSES said...

Beth, How great is our Lord. Really pumped to see how well Donovan is doing. Keep up the good work with the "slurpee machine".

A. M. A. G. said...

Poems: The program is called Sound Xchange and it airs this Saturday, Sep 20th at 5:00 pm SK time on 540 am. If you can't get the radio signal, you can listen on the internet - go to CBC SK Radio1 and click on Sound Xchange under the programs link.