Monday, September 15, 2008

Day 2, "Is it tired in here, or is it just me?"

Good Evening....I will try and get this post in between yawns and stretches...and give God all the glory for a fine day 2 with borrowed lungs....

Laurier and I are still finding ourselves on red alert for danger whenever we call into the ICU to see if we can visit Donovan and get put off for procedures etc. "what procedure, what are they doing, is he ok?" These paranoid thoughts tumble through....we are still so jangled inwardly, when of course, they are just changing a line, bathing him, doing checks, etc. etc. It will take awhile, having walked through a minefield of illness and real danger. I can sure relate to those returning soldiers.....

Now for the day's health report: 2 eyes open, count 'em, both looking and blinking with interest, just not at us. There's something on the ceiling that is really holding our boy's interest! I am a little jealous, but hear from those who've been through it, that delusions, halucinations and the like take precedent over the living for a while after such major trauma. It's a little freaky, but we're getting used to it. But one precious gift from today is a crooked semi-smile, just on the corner of his lips, beside the ventilator tube taped to his mouth, a smile I asked for, a smile I got!!!

Speaking of the vent, the oxygen concentration is now a mere 25% (you and I breathe 21%) so we're close...we went from controlled to assisted, then back to controlled support, but "it's all good". They inserted the aforementioned spinal anasthetic to assist with pain control, so thought they'd give him the vent support a little longer. We're told it'll be out tomorrow or the next day. We can surely wait, but to be honest, I'm really impatient for this. Do you know how long it's been since I've seen that boy's scruffy moustache? It's been all covered with tape and tubes...nearly 2 weeks, or is it more???

What else? We've got toe wiggling, shoulder scrunching, hand clenching, one-eyebrow raising (a Donny special), many facial expressions, my least favorite of which is eyeball-rolling....I'm told to hang in there, and when all the narcotics are finally flushed out, we'll get our Donovan back....

So good to see Dave & Linda today, who know so much of what transplant is all about, also Ali, Connie R., my food-pushing (just kidding), sisters, & of course Verla...thank you all for your support....

What a beautiful day this has been! Many more days ahead on this road, and although we do anticipate a few bumps and hurdles on our journey to breathing easy, we know that as you all walk alongside, those hurdles will be navigated, and the bumps smoothed away!

Finding joy in the journey,

Beth

ps. A few prayers needed for the unjangling of those upset nerves...I'd like to NOT have cardiac failure at every alarm, bell, beep & buzzer in the ICU, and of course for Donovan's detox process. Standard prayers for acceptance of the lungs and no infection still apply. Just pray as you feel led.

Praise God with me for every comment I've heard today that says, "He's doing so well!" from those "in the know," the medical folks. We are so very, very thankful for our miracle, every minute, in the midst of our fog & fatigue. And we include all of you as part of that miracle!

10 comments:

Spin Original said...

Hey Beth! So glad to hear of Donovan's process!! That is wonderful!!
We are praying for you and your family. Much love to you. Sending hugs your way.

Spin Original said...

P.S. I SURE MISS YOU around the preschool!!!

Hear me out. said...

Beth!!
I'm sorry I missed seeing him awake(or somewhat awake), but I'm glad to hear that happened today. Everyone in this city's still praying!!
-chantal

Tina Sauers said...

Wow! and praise God. Michael (my husband) used to work in Electronics with Donovan and we have been praying for him. just found out tonight what had been going on and spent the last hour reading your blog together. we will be praying for a full and speedy recovery! we have another friend in PA who had a lung transplant last year in Edmonton at three times Donovan's age so we are going to trust God that what he did for Bruce he will also do for Donovan!
The Sauers Family
Michael, Tina, and kids

Sharon Terrio said...

Hi Beth. Our family has been following along with you on this journey. Thank you for your blog. Your family's faith in God has brought so much insperation to mine as well as my prayer group and their friends and family...etc. My heart beats faster when I open my computer to log onto Donovan's blog. I thank God everyday for giving us this miracle. We will continue to pray and pass Gods message on to everyone we know. Your family is amazing! Sharon Terrio

Carolyn said...

Hi Beth and Laurier, hang in there, you are both very strong people and you have a never ending source of strength on your side.

The verse that has been on my mind a lot lately, may help you at this time as well. "Be still and know that I am God."

NEEDLEWORKS FABRICS AND CLASSES said...

Beth/Laurier:

My family and I would like to visit you in Edmonton. Can you suggest a time that would make sense given Donovan location and your needs? the Spence's

Pauline said...

Hi Beth and Laurier,
Just wanting to let you know that you are in our thoughts and our prayers. We serve a GREAT GOD.
If you have time and need a friend please call me and I will meet you at the hospital. my phone # is 780-416-0336
Your Friend In Christ
Pauline Boden

milly said...

Hugs from 3rd Floor at the Vic Prayers are ongoing for all your needs.Sincerely Milly White

Beatrice said...

Beth & Family:
Pleased to hear of Donovan's miracle & progress. Our entire family continue to pray for Donovan and you.
Heartwarming to hear of your deep-rooted Faith.
Thinking of you !
Beatrice
(Allan)