Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lazarus....

That's my friend Verla's new name for Donovan. His comment? "It works!" (Lazarus was the biblical character Jesus raised from the dead.)

I was thinking about that today as physio assisted Donovan on his very first walking venture! They use a giant walker which Donovan has dubbed "the zombie walker" It has an adjustable padded arm bench and handles to grip onto, as well as a harness underneath in case your legs give out. I follow behind with a wheelchair for him to sit in as he needs breaks. Today, the virgin voyage out of his room, he went down a hall, across the bottom of the hall, and up about 3 room lengths on the other side! Wow! Needless to say he was all a-tremble when we finished. But we were able also go on a "just for kicks" wheelchair ride and show him around a little after the walk.

Donovan was very tired today....the schedule is very tight as I mentioned earlier, so we need to continue to pray for restful sleeps. Today as I was helping him remove adhesive remains of bandages from his body, I felt the air under the skin in his chest. The weirdest thing...feels like rice krispies snap, crackle, popping....so Jerry S., tell me about this! You are the expert in all things respiratory! I know, it will probably go away....

I know you may be getting tired of this, but here's my worry list for tonite....(and I know I shouldn't worry!).
---continuing hi-ish white blood count, and we don't know why....it runs about 15-20
---swelling in legs is more tonite, even with diminished liquids....I know I shouldn't worry about this!
---Lungs are a little crackly, but I guess mine would be too if they were "new to me"
---Blood sugar readings are "all over the map" but this I'm told will settle.
---They (the docs) are puzzled as to why he needed blood yesterday...they are checking for sources of internal bleeding...but of course nothing is obvious.

Now, having laid that all out, I feel better and will pray and not worry. You will too, right?

I have to share with all of you how touched Donovan is by your thoughts, prayers and support. Each night we pray together before we leave him. Each time we do, he begins to thank God for everyone who is thinking of him and praying for him, and the tears begin, his first, then mine. He is humbled, grateful and his heart is overflowing. So, thank-you from Donovan!

For those who are coming soon to see him, he is still new-born kitten weak, and unable to be very animated. Emotions take a lot of energy to express, but he feels things deeply. Visiting takes a lot of work, but he enjoys just being "sat with" and will love to see you for short periods!

Good nite and God bless from all of us in Edmonton.
love, Beth

2 comments:

VKayP said...

Hi Beth,

I just wanted to say how much everyone here appreciates you taking the time out of your busy (and emotional!) day to let us know what's going on. I know that at the end of the day, after we've brushed our teeth and are just settling into bed, we all sleep better knowing that Donovan is doing so well. There is no doubt in my mind that he fights so hard because he has family and friends like everyone on this blog to look out for him, no matter what happens. I wish I could be there with him, but know that you guys are doing everything that can be done to make his recovery as smooth and comfortable as possible. Please keep up the good work!

Missing Donovan like crazy,
Kay Perreault

Unknown said...

Lazarus...
Great nick name

Donovan Michael Laurier Lazarus

Sounds good to me, We would all love to be able to sit with you and keep you company as you heal.
Beth how about a web camera?
Uncle Rob can hook you up. It may be too much right now for Dono but in the days to come as he is feeling stronger?

I hope you and Laurier are eating (more than just soup) and getting enough sleep.

praying for you all
missing you much

Auntie Lennie, Uncle Rob
Josh & Dee Dee