Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Shark Bite!


This was taken last week, and as you can see, the scar is quite impressive! It healed quite well, and the staples were removed a few days ago. The other scars are from four chest tubes inserted during the surgery to drain fluid around the lungs. The chest tubes came out slowly in the weeks following surgery. There is also another scar (not seen in this photo) on Donovan upper right thigh, from the operation to connect him to the ECMO (life-support) machine prior to surgery. The small white plastic "button" on the lower right side is a g-tube, used for connecting to a feeding tube to supplement nutrition. On Donovan's left arm is a pik-line, to access a vein for IV meds. Lots of scars, lots of reminders of this miracle! But doesn't Donny look fantastic? I think the smile and noticeable lack of oxygen tubing says everything!!!

3 comments:

Tina Sauers said...

wow....that pic make my belly shiver. impressive!

spookycat said...

Wow, Dono, you look great...definetly better than the last time I saw you. It was day one with the new lungs, I'm sure you don't remember. I guess you can now say to Jeremy.."my scar is bigger than yours" LOL!
We had a good thanksgiving, missed having your family there, but look forward to Christmas when hopefully the whole family will be together for a huge celebration. I missed your call last night, so call me soon, look forward to hearing your voice. Hope you had a good visit with Ryan this weekend. The painting of Scout is comeing along , I hope you'll like it.
talk to you soon, auntie Jewel

Unknown said...

looking fine...