Thursday, October 23, 2008

The ICU....again.....

NO, it's not Donovan. But I did spend a good chunk of the day in the ICU, here in Prince Albert.

I was awakened in the early hours of the morning yesterday, one of those heart-stopping phone calls I love to hate. It was my 83 yr. old mother's care home, telling me she had fallen and was being transported to hospital via ambulance. A good deal of pain and one x-ray later and the diagnosis of a broken left hip was announced. She is an anasthetic risk, and quite frail, so we were all concerned, and spent the day sorting out options and keeping her well medicated. It was decided to operate this morning using a spinal anasthetic, and then move her to the ICU for observation until tomorrow.

So I spent a good deal of last night in a narrow vinyl recliner, too much of me and too little chair, with my seriously doped-up and pain ridden mom calling out to long-gone family members at short intervals....hmmm, the stuff nightmares are made of! My sister spelled me off at 3 am, and I came home to attemp some real sleep before seeing Stephen off to school today, and , you guessed it, another soccer tournament! This one in Weyburn, Sk. and I'm so glad I'm not going along. The days of me being excited about a six-plus hour trip on an old yellow school bus are long gone!!!

Anyway, the surgery was quite successful, and mom is now comfortable (mostly) with pharmaceutical aid. She'll be moved to the surgery ward tomorrow. We will have to see what the plans are for her longer term, and if she'll be able to return to her care home.

On the lighter side, she is quite funny between the effects of narcotics, and her very poor hearing. Example: Mom: Beth, what are you doing.
Me: sending Laurier a text message.
Mom: Sex message! Why are you sending him a sex messages???

You just gotta laugh!!! So, you never know what life's going to throw your way next. I was quite happy at the thought of never seeing the inside of the ICU again, ever!!!

Just got off Skype with Donovan, Laurier & my blossoming daughter Katie, who tells me she & the world's cutest grandbaby are doing fine. Donovan also continues to do well. He is now cutting back on insulin, seeing if his tuckered-out pancreas can begin to kick in at all. He'll monitor his morning sugar, and if it rises too much he'll have to increase his needles again. How about we all pray that this is the beginning of the end of his diabetes? Thank you!

As well, he bought home the pulmonary function testing device, which will enable him to do daily flows. The words "every day for the rest of your life" were used in a very serious tone, along with "patient compliance" etc. The docs really, really want to see these lungs last the distance, and we intend to do all we can at this end. Did I mention Donny's "flows" are now 74%? We haven't seen those kind of numbers since he was about 10 yrs. old! Awesome!

One more blessing for us all to ponder. Our newly transplanted friend Lauren is out of the ICU. Just over a week along for her. I'm so very happy! Now let's all say a few prayers for Kristen to also get her lungs. Thanks everyone!

By the way, did I mention that Donovan is getting slightly "pudgy"....and that his cheeks are the nicest rosy shade? We have so very much to be thankful for. I'm off to try and get some seriously needed sleep, and gear up for another day at the hospital with mom. Have a great night all!

Beth

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great report about Donovan, but I am really sorry to hear that Pearl broke her hip. Relieved that she made it through the surgery well and that you can see the humor in her hopefully temporary confusion. She will be moved to the floor that I used to work on here and we once had a 101 yr old lady that had a successful hip replacement surgery so your Mom sounds young in comparison. LOL I am sure your heart is pulled between your loved ones and I pray God gives you great grace. And I am totally in agreement that Donovan will NOT require insulin, that the diabetes will just fade away, never to return.

Blessings, DEB