Saturday, November 1, 2008

Together Again!

After a separation of over 3 weeks, the longest in our 28 years of marriage, Laurier and I are together again!

Mom was doing quite poorly the last few days, and we wondered if her time was at hand. Lots of breathing problems, and increased weakness. After much deliberation it was decided I would not go to Edmonton as planned, but that Laurier would come home. His sister Alice and Katie took his place as Donovan's support people. It is so nice for us to be together again. We're taking it day by day, and if mom improves I'll go back to Edmonton with Laurier sometime next week. Stephen will come along until after the Remembrance Day weekend.

As well, my brothers Greg and Peter came in from BC, my sister Cathy from Regina and Jewel from S'toon district, and including my sister Ghislaine from town and myself, the whole family is together for the first time since my father's death in '95. I think the reunion has caused mom to rally. She is now much more alert, and breathing better. We're all hanging out at the hospital and taking shifts through the night. I'm sure we're making the staff a little crazy with all our fussing and doting on mom, who, by the way, is lapping up all the love and attention. It's hard to say which way it will go with her, but we are thankful for the time we have together as a family, and this chance to express our love for mom. Her hip is healing, but she is very weak and plays out quite easily. I thank you for your prayers for mom. God is again proving to be our faithful healer and provider.

Donovan is feeling well and now over 130 lbs, gaining a little each week. He had to restart his nightime insulin shot as his morning blood sugar was consistently high, but he was able to decrease his daytime insulin. A little side effect of the anti-rejection drugs is "pruney" fingers and palms, they appear to have been submerged in water for too long...but we can live with that! He continues to make gains in his daily physio regime, and his only problem these days is the beginnings of boredom with the whole "getting better" routine. We are so thankful for all his progress, so thankful for all the prayers for Donovan. Six weeks and counting till he comes home!!!

Off to bed as I'm on the early shift at the hospital...

God Bless,

Beth

1 comment:

Sharon Terrio said...

I'm with you all the way Beth and praying for you everyday. I'm happy Donovan now weighs more than I!!! When I saw him he was so slim. He's doing so good. hugs

Sharon