Monday, November 17, 2008

weekend update. on monday ( a post by Donovan)

So here we go. Saturday. I had my first "sleep in" in 3 months. Because of my new medication routine (as of the transplant) I have to eat with scheduled medication every 12 hours. So I tried getting up at 9:30 (this is my normal wake up time on weekends), then I ate, took my meds.. .and went back to bed till noon. Although my body being so used to getting up and staying up the past 3 months, it was an up and down kind of a thing. I'll have to get better at sleeping in.

So after the "sleep in" I awoke with a crackle in my right side, of my new lungs. This is not something new, but a reoccurrence of something that I have experienced before in the hospital. It is best described as something like inflating a new balloon in your hand, the feeling of the plastic crackling and separating as you inflate it. This of course had my mom worrying straight away, despite my best efforts to assure her that in the hospital the doctors and team were not worried when it occured. We decided to wait till monday and go to clinic to check things out then, in the meantime to use the "slurpee" machine to try and stretch those lungs out. Along with this crackly feeling I ended up being extra worn out after I woke up.

Despite these few setbacks we, (Mom, Dad, my friend Chantal, her sister Chenoa and I) went on with our plans to meet up with PA friends Kath and Ali at city hall for the "official" lighting of the super huge christmas tree and downtown decor. We arrived quite early so we checked out a little shop, took in some art and had a coffee. Once Kath, Ali and friends arrived we hurried outside , claimed a spot on the square and after a long awaited introduction for Santa, the crowd counted down and the Tree along with decorations were lit. But wait! There was more! What was this?! fireworks set to music?! Yes, there were a couple of songs set to fireworks for all to enjoy! What made it even better was sharing it with family and friends. Tired and hungry we said our goodbyes and were off back "home". Plans to join my brother in law for the evening to celebrate his birthday were cancelled. One activity a day seems to be the limit for now.

Sunday. Nothing much happened sunday, it was mostly a much needed day of rest. Stayed in the pjs till 3... walked over to London Drugs to get a print, and made a long walk over to superstore and back. Besides the physio I'm trying to get a little more activity in the afternoon or evening, it usually consists of a walk to the store or around the neighborhood. These walks are progressively becoming brisk walks.

Today! WOW WHAT A DAY! OHMIGOSH!!!!! Well actually it was a regular monday really. Up and at em' at 7, hospital at 8:30 for blood work, to the gym at 9-10:30, OT 10:30-10:45 (cut OT short today to go to un-scheduled clinic), to the pulmonary function and x-ray, labs from 10:45 -11:30 AND THEN to check out the crackle we went to clinic. Turns out the Doc was unconcerned, he says sometimes you just get weird sensations, his suggestion was that it could just be the lung rubbing against the wall or vice versa...See mom! nothing to be worried about!... although he did say that it was good we came by and got it checked and make sure nothing was going on , which was why we did the pulmonary and xray prior.

OH and YOULLNEVERGUESSEDWHATHAPPENED!!! We tried to thank everyone in a previous post but as people continue to give support, more thank yous are in order.

Special thanks to: Dad's cousin from Albertville, Marie Gobeil & familly, and Mom's cousin fro Ontario, Greg Demaine, for their very generous financial support.

We also just found out support was even given from friends of my aunt Jewel in Allan, SK. Pius + Bea Brossart. This is truly remarkable that even people that we have not yet met are supporting us. Thank-you for the lovely card, gift, thoughts and prayers.

Thank you also to Gloria White, a co-worker of my mom for her gift. You are incredibly generous. And Thank you also to our church family, Prince Albert Alliance, who continues to support us. We appreciate all of you so much! Thanks also to the Hagel Family for taking in Stephen so Mom could be here for the week, it is so special to have friends who generously help us out when we are in need.

Well that pretty well sums up one of my most exciting weekends in a while, thanks to christmas lights, fireworks, family, and friends.

1 comment:

Sharon Terrio said...

Donovan. Thank you for the blog. It's always nice to get a reality check every now and then. You take care. Hugs... Sharon