Monday, October 6, 2008

The Homecoming....

I just read an email from a friend whose daughter just had a new baby girl. Got me thinking about having my kids, especially the joy of finally bringing that baby home from hospital, and feeling that, at that point, the new little one finally becomes all yours, your new baby.

Well, today at about 6:30 p.m. I bought my 20-yr old 5'9" 123lb. "baby" boy from the hospital, complete with all ten fingers and toes and a brand new pair of lungs! What a celebration! I hope to provide you loyal readers with photos at some point. Thankfully, unlike that homecoming of all those years ago, he now sleeps thru the night (with a little pharmaceutical aid), and feeds on schedule, to keep those blood sugars stable.

Donovan walked tentatively into our friend's back door to avoid those difficult to navigate front steps. He's using a cane for balance, and a four-wheeled "friend" for longer distances. He is now much less high tech, as the last of the lines came out today, the pik-line into his bicep for IV meds was removed before we left hospital. I've got to tell you, it was like watching one of those magic shows removing the line, like a scarf trick! That line went on and on and on....it makes sense, because it went from his arm all the way to his heart....

We also came home with four big bags of meds from pharmacy...and a looooong list of instructions. We've got two pages of meds to check off, and changes will be made as he stabilizes even more. He really is looking well. One of the meds, prednisone is giving him some fullness in the face, making him look even more healthy!

We will return to hospital 5 days a week for physio and clinic checks, and will really be keeping a close eye on everything. Lots and lots of learning to do, but it is all worth every moment. It was so nice just to watch Donovan hang out on the sofa, open mail, and watch a movie on his new computer. Great to be home in Edmonton!

I flew in last night with my sister Ghislaine, who leaves tomorrow. She gave Donovan gifts from Sears, where he worked for a year...a digital photo frame and a collection of money toward expenses. Thanks so much, all you angels at Sears! Your support means so much. Donovan is touched by these expressions, and they are all helping his emotional recovery from this ordeal.

I also have to mention how wonderful and supportive our home church, Prince Albert Alliance Church, has been. I attended Sat. evening while I was home, and my friend Jackie, leading worship that evening called me to the front to give an update, unplanned. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I rate public speaking right up there with dental surgery!!! But I stumbled through, and then came a little more prepared to speak Sunday morning. I really hope, for those of you who were at church, that I was able to articulate a little of what this has all meant to us, how God has really been our Rock, and how your prayers have seen us through. Pastor Ron informed me then that the congregation took up a "love offering" for our transplant-related expenses. It truly blessed my socks off!!! Thank you, church family, thank you God!

These blessings will help us all breathe a little easier while Donovan's new breathers learn to do their thing, and become one with him! I was mentioning to a friend that since God's timing has been so immaculate through this, it wouldn't surprise me if the financial donations from all sources equalled Laurier's lost salary down to the cent. God is so faithful, as are you, my friends.

On that note, I've received a few inquiries as to where people can give donations...and although this is awkward to speak about, I think the simplest thing to do is give them to us directly. Again, thanks a million for the financial support, and trust we will "pay it forward" when the opportunity arises...none of know who will be in a position similar to our's one day....

Stephen will be in Charlottetown, PEI with the PA Celtic, right about now. If you happen to think of him in the next week, as we will be constantly, say a few prayers for protection, fair reffing, good weather and some darn good fun! Go Celtic!!!

It has been a long, good day. Off to bed, and hopefully a better planned day with an earlier bedtime tomorrow. We really need to be on schedule with eating & sleeping, just like with a new baby...not to mention working in close to 30 meds. We ask that you pray for adjustment for Donovan to this new routine.

Let's praise God for this wonderful victory, 23 days post-transplant, home, new lungs chugging away....we are so thankful.

Proud parents,
Beth and Laurier

3 comments:

Carla said...

Congratulations Donovan!!!!!!!!!
We are so happy for you. You'll have your "new routine" mastered in no time!! Beth, Laurier,...you must be so very, very proud. It's truly a miracle! Thoughts and Prayers every day, from your "old" Pediatric nurses.(level 3!)

Reina MacDonald said...

Beth, I am in tears reading this. I am so overwhelmed at the blessing that has been the answer to so many, many prayers! I am thrilled for Donovan and his new chance at a better life. And I am only imaginining what it is like for you and Laurier as parents. I don't know that I could be so strong. You are all such amazing people.

Anonymous said...

It is great to hear how God has worked this miracle. Even though we don't know you, just through friends and church we have followed your story. May you continue to find strength in the Lord. Philippians 4:13