Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Amazing Grace....

How often have I heard that old hymn, yet never really knew the meaning of "grace".....
I think I am beginning to have an inkling of what it means to really have received undeserved favor from God. As I have experienced the power of God at work in our lives through this time with Donovan I have also felt peace that passes understanding, something else I have rarely truly understood. Having had a little distance from Edmonton this week I've had time to ponder the wonder of all that we have been through, and wrestle with the idea that God poured out blessing on us...we are immensely humbled and grateful, but I still have this need to say "Why God, why now, why Donovan, why us?" Of course, the answer is very simple...."why not? I love you!" Something deep within me has changed, and I know I will never be the same. We can never be thankful enough, never deserving enough, I guess all we can do is live our lives to be a reflection of all we have received...and that will encompass all the days we have left....

As I returned home this week I also heard the devastating news of a traffic accident that claimed the lives of two relatives of friends in our local congregation. It is bewildering at the very least to hear of such loss, and feel such agony for these families, and on the other hand rejoice at the new life we've been given. All we can know is that God is in this with all of us, and feels the pain as well as the joy. All we can know is His love and His sovereignty, even when we don't understand....all we can do is continue to uphold each other, be Jesus for each other, "Be still and know that I am God".

In the midst of all my muddling things over today, I got a phonecall from Laurier who had returned to the place he's staying midday, which is a little unusual. After chatting a moment, he passed the phone over, saying "Here, someone wants to say hello" Well, imagine my shock when that "someone" was none other than Donovan! Out on a pass!!! Woo-hoo! He said the steps to the house were a little difficult to navigate, but he was enjoying a taste of freedome. I'm so thankful for our Indian summer...and a chance for him to take it all in. He continues to work extremely hard in physio, and apparently his calf muscles are in desperate need of a tune-up. Exercises are rated on a scale of 1-10, and he flunked "calf strength" with flying colors! But we know it will come....as will eventual discharge. Another day with 3 patients in a 2-patient room, and I'm sure Donovan is at least beginning to look too healthy to take up space on the ward!

Impatient as usual, I'm still waiting to hear the antibiotics are discontinued, but so far only one has been changed to an oral med, and I still haven't heard how red blood cell production is going...it's so hard being this far away, and not able to pester the medical people in person. Of course neither Laurier or Donovan is as information-oriented as me!!!

Soccer nationals for Stephen are only a few sleeps away and this week is very busy in preparation. A lovely banquet tonight to cheer the boys on, and motivate them to bring home some 'hardware'....we're so proud of Stephen and his whole team, who are working incredibly hard. Stephen's never been to Eastern Canada, so is in for a real treat. Of course there will be more soccer than sight-seeing, but never-the-less, quite an opportunity! And well deserved, as the next few early mornings as well as afternoons are spent in training....ugh, 7:30 a.m. running!

I look forward to seeing Amy home tomorrow evening...anybody want to buy her '91 Shadow? She's found herself a snazzy little Jetta to consume her paychecks for the next few years! She's bringing the old car home to buff up and put up for sale.

Well, that's life today. Off to tuck my young man in to bed, or at least start the nagging!

Love and prayers,

Beth

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Beth, Laurier and Donovan,
Part of my daily routine is to pray for you Donovan and to read your very detailed updates, Beth. It leaves me with no questions. Today's write-up is especially exciting to know that you have been away from the hospital, Donovan. We have many Pioneer people, family and friends praying and giving thanks for God's goodness to you especially, Donovan. We'll pray harder for good, deep sleep/rest.
God bless each one,
Enid

Spin Original said...

Love and prayers are being continually sent to you all. So glad to hear that Donovan was able to get out on a day pass! Praise God!

I love that you've learned a new meaning for you about grace. It's great when God teaches us things, even, and especially, in the difficult times.

Miss you Beth. Take care.

spookycat said...

Yes, our whole family has been blessed by the grace of God many times over... just consider....Dad's devastating accident all those years ago. And then his many grandchildren who have been spared...Jessica surviving E-coli poisoning at 13 months, Ryan escaping an underwater roll-over in the dark of night at 16, then surviving THREE motorcycle accidents in Tiawan, Jacquie and the blood clot in her lung when she was pregnant, Jeremy getting out of his work place just before it exploded and then his close call this summer. And of course Donovan. Yes our family is truly blessed. HE watches over us all and we must always remember to never take our existance for granted. Life is so precious and so fragile.
Take care, I hope you have a good flight back, I bet you are glad it's a short one..Jewel